Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flat bottom C-bore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Machining
View previous topic :: View next topic  
franke
Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Flat bottom C-bore Reply with quote

Today i have to make about 40 units of a part, that is very basic... Its basicly a flat circle... like a donut... There is a bolt circle that has 5 holes... That part is easy...
there is no threading... Just straight through...
But there are counter bores... I have never done a counter bore before... If i drill a through hole, can i use an Endmill for the counter bore ?

I know that endmills are ussually not used to go up/down with like a drill... But lets say its only going to cut 0.100 dia , would that work ?

if not, what would you guys use to create a flat bottom for a counter bore ? A regular twist drill wont do it because its pointy... I need something flat at the tip right ?

I know this is a total newbie question, but i have only run 1 job on a cnc mill... and it was a straight through hole...

So what is good for a flat bottom C-bore ?
JoeM
Master Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An end mill isn't perfectly flat on the end, but it's usually good enough for counterboring (by plunging) a drilled hole for a socket head cap screw or something like that. If it had to be perfectly flat, you could drop down into the drilled hole and mill a circle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Machining All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: