Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haas--Engraving with Macros

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> G-Code Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieR
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Haas--Engraving with Macros Reply with quote

Q: I want to use the G47 (Text Engraving) command for two different jobs. I’m having trouble getting the text placed exactly where I want it. On the first one, the specified start position is X0 Y0, but there is an X axis move before engraving takes place. The first character is an M, and the first line it does is an X0.2197 move. Why is this? On the other job I need to center the engraved text on the workpiece. What’s the best way to do that?

A: Graphics mode and the single-block function are very useful for engraving jobs. Be sure that Settings 74 and 75 are both turned on.
The macro program for engraving allows a small amount of space before and after each character. The X0.2197 move occurs when the default size characters (1.0" tall) are being engraved. If you use a J value in the G47 line to change the size, you’ll find that the spacing between characters is reduced or enlarged in proportion to the text size. To start the characters exactly at X0 Y0, run the program in Graphics to see what the first space allowed for the character size is, then program a negative X value in the G47 line. This will compensate for the initial spacing.

For the centered engraving, again, run the program in Graphics mode and in single-block. Start in the X0 position (on the G47 line) in your work offset. Take note of the work coordinate readings when the last character of your engraving has been completed. That gives you the exact length of the engraving. Subtract this from the width of your part, divide by two, and the result is your starting point on the X axis for perfect centering. Enter this X axis value in the G47 line. This will work with any size font.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> G-Code Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: