Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haas--Constant Surface Speed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> G-Code Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieR
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Haas--Constant Surface Speed Reply with quote

Q: I have a question about one of the programming examples in your operator’s manual. Here’s the example in question:
T200 B-2.0
G50 S2500
G97 S1042 M03
G00 G99 X2.0 Z0.01
T232 M08
G96 S600
G01 Z0 F.01

What is the purpose of the program line that has G97 S1042 M03 in it? I ask because of the G96 S600 code that follows two lines down in the program. This just doesn’t make sense to me.

A: When you invoke G96, Constant Surface Speed (CSS), the machine will automatically increase or decrease spindle speed according to the radius being cut (distance from tool tip to spindle centerline). This is an excellent way to ensure the proper cutting speed for the material being used. The common practice is to program with G97 (turn off CSS) when rpm adjustment is not necessary, such as during any rapid moves to approach the part or during drilling. A G96, with its increasing or decreasing speed, can sometimes be inconvenient during non-cutting moves. For example, if your programmed feed is in inches per rev and the tool tip moves outward, everything will slow down – and your cycle time will increase.
In conclusion: Use G96 only during cutting, and cancel it as soon as possible with a G97 command.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> G-Code Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: