Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Haas--Circular Milling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> G-Code Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieR
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Haas--Circular Milling Reply with quote

Q: I need to do circular milling on my VF-3. I would like to know about I and J moves – how are they calculated? Are I and J arc segments of the circle?

A: The optional I, J and K commands represent the distance from the starting point to the center of the circle: I is the distance along the X axis; J is the distance in Y; K the distance in Z. (Typically, I and J are used in mill programming, while I and K are used with lathes.) Depending on your application, the R command may be used instead.

If you’re cutting an arc of less than 360 degrees, you should use X, Y, Z and R commands. The X, Y and Z values define the endpoint – which is different from the starting point – and the R value is the distance from the starting point to the center of the arc. Note that if R has a positive value, the control will generate a path of 180 degrees or less; to generate an arc of greater than 180 degrees, you must specify a negative R.

To cut a complete circle – a 360-degree arc – you must use I, J, K commands (if only one of these values is specified, the others are assumed to be zero). In this case, the starting point and ending point are the same, so you don’t need to specify X, Y or Z values.
dmac

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: G3 Reply with quote

Can you give a example of a 360 degree program
mistux
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmac, I will check with my Haas field techs to see if I can get you some examples.

If you don't mind though, go ahead a "register" that way the forum can better serve you.

Webmaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> G-Code Programming All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: