Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stainless Steel question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Machining
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CNCJimmy7
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Stainless Steel question Reply with quote

I have to machine a 1/8 rad on a 1/4"x1-1/4"x800 hundred feet total (various lengths) I plan to use a 4 flute carbide radius cutter (concave) with an OD of .75 inch My resources say 1250 RPM at 10 in/min.

This sound right to all of you Stainless gurus?

I have little experience with stainless and if I can save a cutter or 2 it would be appreciated.
John_B
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got flood coolant, I would recommend roughing using a high speed steel cutter. But that's just me. There may be good results possible with the correct coating on carbide, but for sure, not just any coating will do. The keen edge of HSS is not to be scorned when cutting soft stainless in the 300 series.

But, I certainly will not call myself an expert in stainless, so if anyone else wants to contradict what I said, feel free. I'm just relating my experience. I want to believe that carbides can be used for it too...just not sure which one will last long enough to be economical.
JamieR
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of stainless is it?

It sounds like you are around the low end for soft stainless (303, 304).

For soft stainless grades, I would run between 1250-2000 rpm and 10-16 ipm. Slower doesn't always get you better tool life... watch your chips. Also, you may be able to push your chip load up to .003 per tooth (15-24 ipm). It depends on how well the radius was put on the tool.

One last suggestion, get your tools coated with TiCN. This coating has a very low coefficient of friction which will greatly reduce galling and material buildup at the cut edge. It will also improve tool life.

Good Luck,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Machining All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: