Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can I use my nikon sb800 with my canon 40D?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistux
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Can I use my nikon sb800 with my canon 40D? Reply with quote

Source: http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=482015

Yes, indeed, you can use the SB800 with the 40D (or any EOS non-1D series DSLR) and in ETTL mode, to boot. However, there's a catch. You need to pop up the built-in flash (as a "master") so the SB800 will need to be off-camera on a stand or a flash bracket.

The SB800 (and the SB900) has a mode called SU-4 when in remote slave mode. In SU-4 mode, the flash can be set to Auto mode or Manual mode. If it's set to Auto mode, it will minimic the built-in flash, including the preflash, and give you good ETTL exposures (make sure the sensor on the flash is pointed towards the built-in flash). And since the SB-800 is much more powerful than the built-in flash, you'll get better lighting than the built-in flash can do by itself.

If you don't want the built-in flash to contribute any light to the picture, you can place an IR filter over it. An unexposed and developed slide film works just fine for this purpose.

In this setup, the SB-800 will even do 2nd curtain sync, too!

Unfortunately, the built-in flash does not support high speed sync so that won't be possible with the SB-800, either.

[Posted by the the source's forum moderator.]
mistux
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Source: http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobist/discuss/72157607563498367/

You can use them in manual mode without any problem. I use a SB80 on my Canon camera from time to time... for certain reasons...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: