Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canon 199A Speedlite on a Rebel XT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistux
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Canon 199A Speedlite on a Rebel XT Reply with quote

Strobe trigger voltages
199a has 4.99V measured - (Canon rated it 6V) thus (Rebel OK)

Source: http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html

Canon Rebel XT has a flash sync threshold of up to 250 volts.

Source: http://www.bobatkins.com/forums/index.php?forum=1&topic=209

Here's what I'm basing my comments on. It's a statement which was credited to Chuck Westfall, Director/Media & Customer Relationship, Canon USA

"The EOS Digital Rebel XT uses a modified version of the EOS 20D's shutter unit. Consequently, acceptable trigger circuit voltage for both cameras is the same, i.e., 250 volts. Except for the original Digital Rebel, all current EOS digital SLRs (i.e., EOS-1Ds Mark II, EOS-1D Mark II, EOS 20D and EOS Digital Rebel XT) generate their X-sync signals electronically rather than mechanically. This is why they have higher acceptable trigger circuit voltage ratings than earlier models like the D30, D60, 10D and original Digital Rebel. These older models cannot be modified to achieve a higher trigger circuit voltage rating, since such a modification would require a different shutter mechanism as well as a complete redesign of the supporting circuitry."

That's my source. If Chuck actually said that, them I'm 100% certain it's correct since he is the Canon Guru on all things EOS and especially on all things related to Speedlites and flash. You can try calling Canon at 1 (800) 828-4040 (or emailing them again) and quoting it to them to see what their response is. Remember though that customer service reps aren't Canon EOS experts and they have to answer questions on all types of products. They really don't know much themselves, they just look up data and read it to you.

I have not found any mention of XT sync voltage on the Canon websites. They don't say it's 6v, they don't say it's 250v. They just don't say anything about it at all!

Later Thread Arrow

I emailed Canon again and quoted the text you gave me from Chuck Westfall.

Here is there reply:
"Please excuse the oversight. The EOS Digital Rebel XT does have a maximum voltage of 250V."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Photography All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: