Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When to replace your flood coolant?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Machining
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamieR
Frequent Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: When to replace your flood coolant? Reply with quote

How do you know when to replace your flood coolant. Mine gets used once or twice a week then on the weekends. It just sits in the tank otherwise, once a week or so I add some water (30gal tank mobil water sol. oil in a 30:1) just to make up for the half inch evaporation. It doesn't smell bad, still seems to work ok, when do I replace it?
franke
Master Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theoretically, the coolant would last forever. The problem is with tramp oil and impurities in the water.
The two types of bacteria that occur are aroebic and anaroebic. The later is what gives the rotten egg smell and is what grows between the oil slick and the coolant. The easiest way to limit is with an oil skimmer.

Aroebic bacterial is the nasty stuff. This is the stuff that gives you the infections in the cuts on your hands. Most of it comes from the water that you use to fill the system. We use de-ionized reverse osmosis water in our coolant to limit some of this. Most newer coolants have a bactricide in them to prevent the bacteria from forming.

How do you check concentration? Do you have a refractometer?

When chips are removed from the machine, you loose the "guts" of the coolant. By just adding water, and not checking concentration, the coolant might not be right.

We do not dispose of any coolant. Our machines are pumped out regualarly and the used coolant filtered and then returned to service. By using a synthetic coolant and pure water, the only problem that we have is with tramp oil (we do have skimmers on most machines).

So, to answer your question, it depends on how well you care for it. With a tank that size, if you use a skimmer and check the concentration, you should get at least 1 year. There are things that you could do to get more life out of it, but for one or two machines, it's not worth it.

Also: The easiest and most economical way to increase the life of your coolant is to add a "fish tank bubbler"..put this inside of your coolant tank and adjust it if you can to let out a bubble every few seconds or so...I'm not exactly sure why, I think it adds oxygen to the mixture..I just know it works...Also if you are doing any Cast Iron, then the best method is to cut some very fine shavings of Copper into the tank.

By adding a "bubbler", you kill the anaroebic bacteria, which is the stuff that makes the rotten egg smell. The problem is that you promote the growth of aroebic bateria.

Before he retired, we used to have a full time chemist that monitored our coolant (about 250 machines). This is now out-sourced. Our machines are pumped out on a regular basis, the coolant is filtered and put in a holding tank for re-use. Each month, a sample is sent out and analyzed for bacteria, lubricity, and anti-rust agents. We then make additions to the holding tank as required. BTW, that tank is 2,500 gal.

Almost all soluable oil, semi-synthetic, and full synthetic coolants contain a bactricide and additives for rust control. The removal of the chips is what depeats these ingrediants. A refractometer is necesary to keep the coolant concentration correst. It will not tell you if the bactricide is working, for that you need a microscope.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Machining All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: