Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't flush ARP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Microsoft
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aalwawbc

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Can't flush ARP Reply with quote

I can't get to the interent on my SB Server 2003 all of a sudden. Exchange can get its mail however.

When I go to the network connections and repair my connection I get an error about "flushing the ARP cache".

Any suggestions?
mistux
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to a command prompt and type in arp -a to see what is in the cache then do a arp -d to delete them.
darkmojor

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When ARP cache is not flushing even with all necessary "arp" related commands, then some services in XP is definitely creating problem.

I disabled all windows based services at once (which are possible to disable without system instabilty) and then started "STARTING" the processes one by one. Thus found that "Routing & Remote Access" is the service that was responsible for the arp flushing problem.

Now everything is working fine as the said service is stopped. I dont need the service , thus stopping that is not bothering me. If anyone needs the service... thats another troubleshooting process then.
wizardasa

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I started with the ARP Cache problem, I think in trying to fix that, another problem occurred. One of the tests I ran in trying to fix the problem must have done a port scan on my firewall, therefore the firewall blocked any future access from my computer.

The solution was having the computer use a static IP adress, then enter that address in the Firewall. This results in the firewall not blocking the computer IP in future. This all assumes the firewall someone runs has port scan blocking in it. This might also apply to other issues. It also appears that some firewalls will lose the list of IP's to block from it's port scan monitoring, if they are rebooted/switched off, so doing this will fix the blocking issue.

Therefore a better option is to add an IP address to firewall.

Don't know about all the technical issues behind this, as it's not my field. But hope this might help any one else.
Aalwawbc

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stopped the "Routing & Remote Access" in the services and now I don't get the flushing arp error but I still can't get to the Internet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Microsoft All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: