Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to get 100% of your change

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Nothing In Particular
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lester Gaines

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: How to get 100% of your change Reply with quote

The ultimate guide to hacking a CoinStar machine
2-3-07
Introduction
So, you go digging through your couch and you find somewhere around $200 in loose change and you REALLY don't want to count all of that yourself. Fortunately, god invented CoinStar to do that for you. Unfortunately, CoinStar charges you somewhere around 9% for its services. This is why you want to learn how to hack a CoinStar.

This is a really simple hack, so you won't be seeing too many pictures.

A picture.
Background
Recently, CoinStar started a campaign where they won't charge you any fee if you turn your coins into iTunes gift cards, Amazon gift cards, or Virgin mobile cards. The machine doesn't actually give you any cards, but rather PINs which can be typed in on the sponsor's site and redeemed for their value. This works because the CoinStar machine has the power of the internets.

How to do it
This is really quite simple. Follow the directions as usual, but when it asks how you would like your money, make sure to pick the iTunes gift card. After it counts all of your change, the machine will ask you how much of your money you want as a gift card and how much you want as cash. Go ahead and set it all to gift card. Now, before proceeding, you need to find a way to unplug the phone jack from the back of the machine. I'm lucky because the wall phone jack for my local CoinStar is at about shoulder height right next to the machine.

Now the poor machine is in quite a pickle. It already has all of your change, and it can't give that back to you. It can't give you an iTunes card either. It could give you cash, but it's not going to lay that 9% fee on because you obviously didn't agree to that when you put your change in the machine. What can it do? Give you cash for FREE. After a few minutes of trying, it will simply give up and just give you a slip which can be redeemed for cash at the store customer service counter.

Conclusion
This little trick worked for me, so go ahead and give it a shot. Oh, and I'm supposed to tell you that I didn't think of this one. My good friend Collin over at Virtual Fresh Air thought of it, but he was too lazy to write it up.

http://www.antiyawn.com/guidetocoinstar.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Nothing In Particular All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: