Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index Manufacturing Information Solutions
Your Place for Support and Discussions

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Make your Own CAT 5 Cable Tester

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistux
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Make your Own CAT 5 Cable Tester Reply with quote

I have each of my 48 CCNA I students building their own Cat 5 cable tester for under $5.00. It tests straight through cables for shorted pairs, opens and miswired connections. Crossover cables will show if the two used pairs (Orange and Green) are good. The tester consists of a couple of Keystone jacks, a two cutout faceplate, a resistor, 9 volt battery clip and four LEDs. I have attached a diagram and instruction sheet the kids use to build it.

To save money, I used the non-Cat 5 jacks from JDR Microdevices (1-800-538-5005 www.jdr.com). These jacks (or the official Cat 5 with punch down connectors) and the faceplates are available there. The LEDs and other parts are at Radio Shack or any Electronic supply house (Jameco Electronics 1-800-831-4242, http://www.jameco.com is a good one). I buy standard outlet boxes (those blue plastic things) at the local building supply store for a quarter. The faceplate screws right to it to make a reasonably good looking project. Project enhancements (some of my students are customizing their testers) include using bi-colored LEDs to show a different color for miswire, and a 16 pin DIP socket for custom cable configuration testing.

Dave Hudson W. Albany High Regional (Oregon) dhudson@8j.net

Category 5 Network Cable Tester

Follow the steps outlined below to build your cable tester:

1. Cut two pieces of Cat 5 cable about 6 inches long.

2. Strip 1.5 inches of the outer jacket from each end of each cable.

3. Install one end of each cable into each of the RJ45 jacks. Be sure to follow the color code for EIA/TIA 568-B.

4. Jack A:
On the free end of the cable,

Arrow a. Twist all solid colored wires together along with the negative (black) battery clip lead. Solder the wires together, cover with heat shrink tubing and shrink it with the edge of your soldering iron.

Arrow b. Twist all the striped wires (White) together with one end of the resistor, solder and cover with heat shrink.

Arrow c. Connect the other resistor lead to the positive battery clip lead, solder and cover with heat shrink.

5. Jack B:
On the free end of the cable,

Arrow a. Follow the diagram and solder wires to the LEDs as shown. The first LED's anode connects to the White/Orange wire and its cathode connects to the solid Orange wire.

1-2
3-6
4-5
7-8

Arrow b. Connect the remaining wires to their LEDs, noting the proper anode, cathode connections shown in the diagram.

Arrow c. Cover these connections with heat shrink tubing.

6. Measure your LED diameter and select a drill bit this size.

7. Mark and drill four holes in the faceplate for the LEDs to mount in.

8. Mount LEDs, plug the jacks into the faceplate, connect battery and test your cable tester with a straight through cable.

9. Mount the faceplate on an outlet box and give it the final test.

Note that the Cathode of the LED has a shorter lead and the rim around the lens base is flattened off. These MUST be installed with the proper polarity as shown in the diagram.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Manufacturing Information Solutions Forum Index -> Miscellaneous Hardware All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: